So its no secret to the people who know me that I suffer horribly from simulator sickness when I’m gaming. In fact, this sickness determines 99% what I can play, the remaining 1% are the sickness causing games I’m stubborn enough to play through. It’s really upsetting, actually, as I do really love video games even if I’m not entirely good at them.
For the longest time I would only play rpgs, specifically Final Fantasy games because I didn’t have any real problems with them. Though, in recent years, with the plots of said games becoming utter crap I have sworn these games off. Which cuts out about all of my gaming choices.
I’ve done really well sort of “previewing” games by watching Let’s Plays. If I get sick, then I know its not a game I’ll be buying. I’ve discovered Haunting Ground through this, and the Fatal Frame series seems to be okay (I’ve yet to hunt down copies to have a go), and the earlier RE games seem safe as well. And this is great, it has introduced me to a different genre of game.
However, it really does cut hugely into my social life. I don’t have too many irl friends, but the ones I do (including my brothers) are all big gamers. And almost all of their games are hard to watch or play without getting ill. It’s been really crappy, I want to jump in and have a go with my friends, but it always turns into me being the “debby downer” and forcing game play to stop. Similarly, by missing out on these gaming sessions, I’m also somewhat excluded. It really sucks :/
While doing research on how to jump this hurdle, I came across a recommendation for Sea Bands. Which, from what I understand, uses acupressure on a specific nerve that prevents the “motion sickness” response from triggering in the brain. It’s been used for things such as traveling, pregnancy, and the article I read suggests it for gaming too. Ultimately they seem inexpensive, and are surely a preferred alternative to motion sickness medicines (that sound like they also cause drowsiness).
So, idk guys. I guess my point here is, my gamer watchers—do you guys ever have simulator sickness? And, I’m going to try and get a hold of some of these bands to give a shot and perhaps talk about my results.